As a homeowner and commercial property owner with a beautiful fence surrounding your property, you know that it adds not only security and privacy but also enhances the overall curb appeal of your home. However, to keep your fencing in top-notch condition and ensure it lasts for years to come, regular maintenance is essential. In this guide, we’ll walk you through some effective tips to maintain and extend the lifespan of your fencing.
1. Inspect Regularly
While your fence may not always be at the top of your mind when it comes to keeping up with the everyday wear and tear your property experiences, routine inspections are crucial to catching any issues with your fencing early on. We recommend taking a quick walk around your property at least once a month and closely examining your fence. Things to look for are:
- Signs of damage
- Loos boards
- Other issues
Promptly addressing small issues can prevent them from turning into more significant and costly repairs later.
2. Keep it Clean
Keeping your fence clean not only adds to its aesthetics, but also prevents things like mold, rot, and mildew from setting in and wrecking both the aesthetic appeal and the structure of your fence. Illinois experiences a constantly changing climate, so keeping it clean is extremely important. The cleaning method depends on the material of your fence:
- Wooden Fences: Use a mixture of water and mild soap to scrub away dirt and grime. Rinse with a hose and allow it to dry completely before applying any sealant or paint.
- Vinyl Fences: Clean with a mixture of water and vinegar to remove stains. Avoid using harsh chemicals, as they can damage the vinyl surface.
- Metal Fences: Remove rust using a wire brush and apply a rust-resistant primer and paint to protect the metal.
3. Keep Any Vegetation Surrounding Your Fence Trimmed and Address Rot and Insect Issues
Additionally, more so for this with wooden fences, the natural enemy is rot and insects. Regularly inspect for signs of rotting wood and address them promptly. Use wood preservatives and sealants to protect the wood from moisture and insect damage.
5. Reapply Sealant. Paint and Secure Loose Parts
Wooden fences benefit greatly from a fresh coat of Sealant or paint every few years. This protective layer shields the wood from the elements and prevents premature aging. In addition, Strong winds, heavy rains, or accidental bumps can loosen boards, nails, or screws on your fence. Periodically check and tighten any loose components to maintain the stability and structural integrity of the fence.
7. Prepare your Fence for Winter
Illinois and Chicagoland residents are no strangers to harsh winters; prepare your fence for the cold season. Remove any debris around the fence, as it can accumulate moisture and lead to rot. Apply a weather-resistant finish to protect the fence from snow and ice.
8. Avoid Chemical Damage
If you’re using chemicals, such as herbicides or fertilizers, near the fence, exercise caution. Some chemicals can cause discoloration or damage to the fence material. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions and try to keep these substances away from the fence.
9. Address Water Drainage
Ensure that water doesn’t pool around the base of your fence, as prolonged exposure to standing water can lead to rotting and structural damage. Adjust the landscape and grading if necessary to improve water drainage away from the fence.
Ensure The Proper Protection and Longevity of Your Fence with Fence Connection
While there are a variety of things that you can do to ensure that your fence stays in the best shape possible, there are some things that you won’t be able to do, and that’s when it’s time to call the professionals. By calling a professional fencing company, you will be able to avoid costly damages and ensure that the security and aesthetic appeal of your property remains untouched. Here are a few of the ways Fence Connection can help homeowners and commercial property owners:
- Expert Inspections & Maintenance – At Fence Connection, we are the experts when it comes to fencing. Our specialists know exactly what to look for, even things that you may not be able to see when inspecting the fence. Our experts will thoroughly inspect your fence and maintain it, ensuring that you do not have to spend a ton of money on repairs and replacements in the future.
- Quick and Lasting Repairs – Your fence goes through a lot of wear and tear throughout the year, and it’s only normal for it to need repairs from time to time. However, instead of doing it on your own, contact the pros at Fence Connection, and we will send a crew out right away. Not only will we quickly repair your broken fence, but our solutions are designed to last.
- Beautiful Fencing Installations and Replacements – Whether you have just bought a new property and need a new fence or want to replace your old and worn-out one with a more secure and aesthetically pleasing fence, we have got you covered. At Fence Connection, we offer a wide array of fencing options for both residential and commercial properties in the Chicagoland area.
Contact Fence Connection for Residential and Commercial Fencing Solutions
Do you want to learn more about how to extend the lifespan of your fence? Or do you need expert fencing solutions? No matter what you need, we are dedicated to delivering commercial and residential property owners with lasting results. Protect your property while boosting its curb appeal today. We are just one phone call away. Schedule a service with our specialists.
Last Updated on July 26, 2023 by M D